What are the best trees for planting in shade?
Usually these are smaller trees that are ideal for growing under large Live Oak's or Lacey Oak or even Monterey Oak filtered shade. Many bloom in the Spring with fragrant smells. Some are more drought tolerant than others. These trees can be grown throughout the South with well-drained soil.
Acia Berlindi Blossoms
- Anacacho orchid tree (Bauhinia lunarioides)
- Eve's Necklace (Sophora affinis)
- Mexican Redbud (Cercis canadensis var. mexicana)
- Mexican Buckeye (Ungnadia speciosa)
- Palo Verde, Texas (Acia Belerendia)
- Texas Redbud (Cercis canadensis)
- Texas Mountain Laurel (Sophora secundiflora)
- Texas Persimmon (Diospyros texana)
- Wafer Ash (Ptelea trifoliata)
Which understory trees bloom in the Spring?
Mexican Orgeno Blossom
From the list of trees above, some bloom in March and others wait until as late as June. It's a great way to get more blooms by choosing ones that bloom in different months.
Flame acanthus (Hummingbird Bush) is a great source of neckter for Hummingbirds during the summer as is Mexican Oregano bush. Alot of these are also deer resistant. Personally, I have not had deer eat my Anacacho Orchid trees at anytime of year.
Flowering bush's that enjoy the shade
- Coralberry (Symphoricarpos orbiculatus)
- Flame acanthus, (Hummingbird Bush) (Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii)
- Mexican Oregano Bush
- Texas White Honeysuckle